Canberra Day 72

[Tuesday 22nd November, 2016] Another hot, dry day

Another not so great day physical health wise, but I tried. I got out there and did some stuff, and it ended up not such a bad day despite bad cramps and nausea; the digestive system is so cranky at times! So I ate some things that I should never eat…how does it know?? It’s so sensitive! Okay fine, so time to get back to to eating things that don’t make my insides explode. First of all, back to the botanic gardens for the daily 1 hour guided walking tour that I missed yesterday and it turns out I was the only one there so a personal tour of the gardens! How’s that? The volunteer was a really sweet lady and we had a fun time checking out all the areas I missed yesterday. Like all the rest of the gardens. And it was fascinating! A gum tree lawn, a rock garden, the red centre, the banksia garden and more that I’ve forgotten by now. And all with commentary which makes it so interesting. Around any water, and laying around all over the place outside of the rainforest actually, were water dragons which was a lot of fun. They are pretty much statues but I haven’t seen them before so its all new. It was a hot morning so I could appreciate the red centre! And so I spent a lovely hour wandering around the gardens with the guide learning such fascinating bits and bobs. Then I checked out the shop on the way out…not the best idea. A photo book of Canberra by Steve Parish, a bush flower guide, some bird magnets by talented artist Jeremy Boots…I think that was all.

I’ve been meaning to do the CSIRO discovery centre and keep putting it off for some reason…so I decided finally to just bite the bullet and go regardless of how I’m feeling, even if I’m not having the best day, just to go, see how it is, just make the best of whatever there is and have done with it so its not weighing on me anymore. It’s just gotten to that point! Luckily I got there just as a huge group of school kids left! So I had the whole place literally to myself, not even anyone at the desk. So I worked through the exhibits that were interesting, skipped the ones that weren’t that interesting and before I knew it I’d done the CSIRO centre, and it was interesting, and the whole stress was done. YAY! Then a well deserved nap. Then sorting out my new laptop, yet another attempt to get our mail delivered to the correct address and getting some assistance from fellow Facebook birders to ID some of the birds I’ve been photographing.

Finally hubby has been working super big days to try to get his part of the project done since they aren’t extending the deadline. So far it was 7pm and he wasn’t coming home so may as well make the most of the lovely evening and head to one of the bush walks I haven’t done yet: Black Mountain “Orchid Track”. I got there at 7.30pm and kept going till I couldn’t see, and my battery was threatening to go flat! Unfortunately I’ve missed the orchids. If I’d done it when we first got to Canberra I should have had better luck but I left it too late. Anyway, there were lots of other bush flowers and loads of birds so I was happy, what a nice way to end the day, wandering around the bush until the cicadas and crickets went to sleep.


The powerline reserve next to Black Mountain – the lines are so compelling to draw your eye into the photo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s