This has been a pet project of mine for ages, in my head and on my Shazam app at least. Finally I’m getting around to sharing it with you. This isn’t going to be an in depth discussion of songs, so much could be said, but this is just my list of songs that help me.
Since I got sick I’ve wanted to put together a collection of songs that have spoken to me about being ill. Songs that have resonated with me about being depressed, being manic, being anxious, being unwell, being out of touch with the rest of my friends and peers, about not being very much at all!
By calling this sad songs, I’m not suggesting that this is a bunch of depressing songs to get you down and make you more miserable than you are at the moment. I’m planning this to be quite the opposite; a reel of songs that you can turn to when things are a bit bleak. For me these are songs that get me singing and bopping and nodding in agreement. These songs make me feel that I’m not the only one out there feeling off and poorly and badly used. They make me feel part of something, and they make me dig out my would-be-karaoke-star voice, my rapper’s beat and my drummer’s tapping of my feet, or of my hands while I’m driving in the car. They breathe something into me that changes me from how I am in that moment to something better, happier, more alive, more active, more confident and braver to face the world, and every one of those things is a miracle in itself!
Every time I go out in the car I turn the radio on. Many people advocate silence and mindfulness and I get that, I do. But a lot of times I just wanna blow my thoughts right out of my brain and listening, singing along and pretending I’m killing it at karaoke (which I’ve never done) and “talking” with someone who gets me, is important to me. Sometimes it’s the only way to express awful thoughts and it can be like a cry for help when you don’t know how else to find the words. Sometimes, it’s just music.
I believe that music can be and is very powerful at reaching into people and making something happen in them. If you feel that way too, then check out these songs and I hope that they inspire you like they inspire me 🙂
- Bom Bom by Sam and The Womp, if nothing else in the world can make you dance, this will! “As I go bom, bom, bommm!”
- Forget You by CeeLo Green, a great beat and another one to get you dancing
- The Middle by Jimmy Eat World, “it just takes some time”
- Firework by Katy Perry, “do you ever feel you’re paper thin”, “scream but no one hears a thing”, empowerment plus
- Wake Me Up by Avicii, “wake me up when its all over when I’m wiser and I’m older” – this talks to me of suicide and why people do it, to go to sleep for a while
- Sea of Air by Portugal. The Man, “when the time comes around, I’ll be brave”
- Cheap Thrills by Sia, “I don’t need no money as long as I can feel the beat”
- Comfort You by Eskimo Joe, just lie back, close your eyes, this is all you need right now in this moment…
- All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor, the right amount of girly sass to shout aloud
- Hands Open by Snow Patrol, bop, nod, tap along like a sick percussionist 😉
- Something In The Way You Move by Ellie Goulding, bop bop bop away
- Are You With Me by Lost Frequencies, lie back close your eyes you’re on holiday
- One Call Away by Charlie Puth, “Superman got nothin’ on me I’m only one call away”
- Apologise by Timbaland ft. One Republic, great singalong song
- Never Be Like You by Flume ft. Kai, “I’m only human can’t you see I made a mistake, please just look me in my face tell me everything’s okay, I’ll never be like you”…apologising for the insufficiencies that mental illness brings about and asking others to tolerate us, and acknowledging that we’ll never be as good as them
- Cry Me A River by Justin Timberlake, an oldy but a goody for a personally rainy day
- Lush Life by Zara Larsson, clap clap your hands! “Gotta get back in the groove!”
- It’s My Life by No Doubt, “it’s my life don’t you forget”
- Brokenhearted by Karmin, just a fun tune and love the rapping, “Cheerio!”
- Domino by Jessie J, just a good beat
- Livin’ It Up by Ja Rule, I’m a sucker for a good rap/R&B
- Valerie by Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse, love love Amy Winehouse’s voice
- Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots, reminiscing about easier earlier days
- I Love It by Hilltop Hoods ft. Sia, I love rap, I love Sia, and it’s all Aussie 🙂
- Brave by Sara Bareilles, “I wanna see you be brave”
- Reality by Lost Frequencies ft. Janieck Davy, a good chill out tune
- Can’t Hold Us by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis ft. Ray Dalton, a nice beat and a great rap, way faster than I can actually understand! Just sit back
- My Sunshine by Mashd N Kutcher, a remix, “Don’t steal my sunshine”
- Here by Alessia Cara, sums up my avoidance of socialising since I’ve been sick
- My House by Flo Rida, I don’t know why but I just love bopping along to this
- All My Friends By Snakehips ft. Tinashe and Chance the Rapper, another song about why I don’t want to go out
- Hotline Bling by Drake, great beat, fun rap, just an entertaining song
- Stay by Kygo ft. Maty Noyes, don’t like the lyrics but the beat is nice
- Higher by Hilltop Hoods ft. James Chatburn, rap plus that voice! “HIgher”
- In The Night by The Weeknd, “dancing to relieve the pain”
- Summer 2015 by L.E.J, 3 talented girls and an a capella summer mix tape
- You Make My Dreams by Hall and Oates, bop bop bop along to the beat!
- The Hills by the The Weeknd, “when I’m f*&*^% up that’s the real me”
- Habits (Stay High – Hippies Sabotage Remix) by Tove Lo, “can’t go home alone again need someone to numb the pain”, “I gotta stay high all the time”
- Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys, “this girl is on fire”
- Good Girl by Carrie Underwood, turn it up and sing along with Carrie!
- Downtown by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, hilarious!!
- For The First Time by The Script, just easy listening
- Demons by Imagine Dragons, a good sad day wallowing type of song, “don’t get too close it’s dark inside its where my demons hide”
- May It Be by Enya, turn it up and let it wash out your mind and bring peace
- Sax by Fleur East, sassy singing and a great beat for your steering wheel tapping
- Ex’s and Oh’s by Elle King, blast it through the speakers and sing your loudest!!
- Hall of Fame by The Script, always convinces me I can do whatever I want!
- Her Diamonds by Rob Thomas, “her tears like diamonds on the floor”
- Shake It by Taylor Swift, the ultimate I don’t care what you think song
- What Do You Mean by Justin Beiber, sometimes I just can’t express what I want
- Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera, “mooooooves like Jagger”
- Lips Are Moving by Meghan Trainor, “lips are moving, hey, your lips are moving”
- Hello by Adele, that strong powerful voice and my amazing singalong prowess!!
- This Ain’t Love by Jessica Mauboy, “cos I made it through the night!”
- Wild Ones by Flo Rida ft. Sia, rap and Sia!! Need I say more!
- Young And Beautiful by Lana Del Rey (Cedric Gervais Remix), “will you still love me when I’ve got nothing but my aching soul..I know you will, I know you will”
- How To Save A Life by The Fray, for the obvious reason of how to save a life
- Faded by Alan Walker, a nice voice and soothing tune
- Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol, “would you lie with me and just forget the world”
- Fire And The Flood by Vance Joy, “everything’s fine when your heads resting next to mine”
- Out Of The Woods by Taylor Swift, “are we out of the woods yet?”
- Be Together by Major Lazer ft. Wild Belle, THAT voice!! “Maybe if the stars align…”
- Never Let Me Go by Florence + The Machine, sad day anthem played at painful loud
- Mad World by Vintage Vaudeville style cover ft. Puddles Pity Party & Haley Reinhart, “the dreams I have of dying are the best I’ve ever had”
- On Top Of The World by Imagine Dragons, a groovy beat and great happy day anthem
- Don’t Be So Hard On Yourself by Jess Glynne, for the obvious
- Ain’t Nobody by Felix Jaehn ft. Jasmine Thompson, another great voice and fun beat
- Riding Solo by Jason Derulo, “I’m feeling like a star you can’t stop my shine”
- Gold Digger by Kanye West ft. Jamie Foxx, a fun rap by 2 hilarious guys, beat along
- Chandelier by Sia, my original song because it speaks to me about being suicidal
- Happy by Pharrell Williams, because in the depths of my depression I would still light up and clap along! That’s powerful!!
- Titanium by David Guetta ft. Sia, “I’m bulletproof, nothin’ to lose, fire away, fire away”
- Better Now by The Vespers, because I’m better now 🙂
- Team by Lourde, that voice and “we’re on each other’s team”
- Pompeii by Bastille, “how am I gunna be an optimist about this?”
- Elastic Heart by Sia, “you did not not break me, I’m still fighting for peace”
Obviously I’ve been at this project for a while! You won’t be listening to these all at once; maybe you won’t listen to any of them ever. That’s okay, it’s for me as much as anything.
A great piece popped up in my Facebook newsfeed while I was writing this blog, music for the body and mind, article from BUPA. It’s just another perspective maybe with a bit more oomph than what I’m spouting. And then this article, from Lifehack about how heavy metal music influences your mood. Lastly I like this article about making music and our brain. Maybe they mean something, maybe it’s just more noise but I like the idea. Music therapy I’m sure is a whole other fascinating field of health professionals.
Anyway, enjoy or don’t enjoy, this is my music and I’ll be singing along!